Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My earliest influences

Kenneth Pargeon asked me a very good question in an email, and I thought it would be nice to post it here too. He asked...

"I have always admired your style. when you began work on creed you seemed to "create" a style that wasn't the norm at the time (jim lee, mcfarlane, etc.) i was wondering if i could ask you where that style came from, who influenced you as a young artist, and what comic books did you read as a child/teenager?"

Hey Kenneth.
As for my influences and where that style came from... I guess it was a blend of Kevin Eastman, Mcfarlane, Sam Kieth and Disney animation. I had a really hard time getting work anywhere in the industry because my art style back then was so different from mainstream guys. I suppose its become a much more open world in comics these days, because I see so many different distinct styles that would have had trouble getting a chance at mainstream books in the 90s. My first comics that I ever bought were the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles drawn by Eastman. I used to copy that stuff a lot. Then I loved the reaction that I got when I pushed the proportions a lot more. My best ideas come when I first wake up in the morning, or really late at night, when Im in a half dreaming state. I had a dream about some kid with big hair and big feet, and then I woke up and drew him. That was where CreeD came from. I think there was a lot of influence from old 16 bit video game art too. The floating islands came from final fantasy, the frog that turns into a dragon was I guess kind of like "the boy and his blob", the world was a lot like "Zelda, a link to the past". If you look at the booklets that came with games back then, they had more detailed art, and that influenced me a lot. I think i just experimented with a lot of different pens and brushes and
techniques until i found one that worked. There were a couple of VHS tapes of guys like Jim Lee and Mcfarlane where they talked about the kinds of tools that they used and their thought process while drawing. Those were inspiring to me at that time.
-Trent

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great question!!!! Kenneth Pargeon is the man!!!!

Micah Kaneshiro said...

Man, old video game booklets were amazing. They were sometimes better than the actual game.

Great post!